[MPEG-OTSPEC] Request for OFF Github Repo

Dave Crossland dcrossland at google.com
Sat Sep 19 01:14:35 CEST 2020

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020, 7:08 PM Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I haven't read your entire email. But just want to respond to the core of
> where you are getting me wrong:
>
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 8:40 PM Dave Crossland <dcrossland at google.com>
> wrote:
>
>> But I repeat myself to say to you Behdad, that it is their format. I find
>> it hard to be invited into someone's house and then complain they aren't
>> sharing their best wine with me, so I'm grateful for all the community
>> engagement they wish to offer; I keep in mind they have a right not to
>> offer any. Since it seems okay for Apple to want to have a spec they
>> control to match the implementations they control, I don't really see why
>> Microsoft would not want to retain the OpenType ® spec that always matches
>> their implementation.
>>

> Let me remind you again: I'm not feeling entitled to anything I'm not
> entitled to.

You wrote a memo titled "An Open Proposal
Fixing the Font Format" and posted it to his list around a month ago. The
first line and main thesis is:

"Move OpenType to W3C as a new Working Group."

You did not write,

"Move OpenFontFormat to W3C as a new Working Group."

So, you use the word entitled, and I put it to you kindly that you seem
entitled to the Microsoft OpenType ® spec.