[MPEG-OTSPEC] Proposal to discontinue the AdHoc Group

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 19 12:15:30 CEST 2020

Hi

I am retired, I never been employed as a typographer, I make a few fonts
of my own, use them, publish them on the web, deposit them at The
British Library, and try to take an interest in font technology. I do
not purport to be an expert on font technology.

Yet I am made welcome here and can contribute if I so choose, my ideas
going to the top experts in the field.

If this group goes and it is only representatives of national standards
bodies that are involved, then I and many others, now and in the future,
will not be able to participate.

The thing is, sometimes, maybe rarely, an outsider makes a good
suggestion that might not have occurred to anyone else.

This can happen. I suggested telesoftware to broadcasters in the 1970s
and it got taken up.

Pulling up the ladder on who can participate can lead to long-term
stagnation.

How will new people get to join in the future?

First get a job with a company, wait years, maybe ...

So my opinion is to keep this group and its openness attitude going
please.

William Overingon

Saturday 19 September 2020

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/