[MPEG-OTSPEC] Proposal to discontinue the AdHoc Group

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Sep 21 08:38:49 CEST 2020

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 3:41 PM Levantovsky, Vladimir <
Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com> wrote:

> Behdad,
>

> Asking the ISO/IEC SC29 Working Group
>
> > to acknowledge that the AdHoc model has NOT worked for many in the
> industry
>
> is a strong request, one that cannot be made without providing any
> substance to support it.

Great. Where can I submit the evidence? My allegations involve you, Peter,
Sairus, and Greg. So the party hearing my complaints cannot include any of
you four because conflict of interest.

I've been asking you since June or July about how to file a complaint and
you have refused to give me an answer. At the last video meeting you said
"I don't know", but you didn't say that when I first asked you in writing.
Instead you asked to video-call and just told me to NOT file a complaint
because it will threaten the existence of the AHG. The existence of the AHG
benefits you personally.

> This is especially important when there is a strong evidence to the
> contrary, that this work has been successfully conducted since 2004, that
> the OFF standard (ISO/IEC 14496-22) has undergone four editions (in 2007,
> 2009, 2015, and 2019) and numerous amendments,

Seriously? You, as the chair of this MOFF / AHG whatever, are so blatantly
dismissing my allegations that there are problems? I'm a *very*
well-established expert and prolific member of this community and I've been
alleging for three months now that THERE IS A PROBLEM.

>  and is widely adopted in the industry (see References below). While the
> WG has been responsible for this work item, the actual work has been done
> by the AHG.
>

> Can you please elaborate on what, in your opinion, “has NOT worked”? Can
> you point out to any instance of a technical discussion conducted in this
> Ad-Hoc Group where a technical objection has been raised that did not
> receive due consideration and has not been properly reflected in an AHG
> proposal or recommendation?

I will to a fair and impartial group of people who have authority to make
changes.