[MPEG-OTSPEC] Proposal to discontinue the AdHoc Group

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Sep 23 02:25:12 CEST 2020

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 6:06 PM David Singer <singer at apple.com> wrote:

> > On 22Sep, 2020, at 16:49 , MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp>
> wrote:
> >
> >> (Personally, I could wish that there was significantly more expert and
> NB involvement in the font work in SC29.)
> >
> > SC29 members are experts in MPEG and JPEG.  As far
> > as I know, nobody in the Japanese mirror of SC29 have
> > any interest in fonts.  I suppose that the same is true
> > in most countries.
> >
> > I plan to ask the JP mirror of SC29 not to agree
> > on the reestablishment of the font AHG.
>
> I don’t think that will help.

I disagree.

>   That doesn’t remove the spec. from being a deliverable of SC29; it just
> cuts off this mailing list and avenue for discussion.

So what would happen then. Here's some possibilities:

1. The OFF becomes obsolete because SC29 does NOT have expertise to develop
a font format,

2. SC29 forms another group-of-experts, with FORMAL processes this time, to
develop the OFF. That's what my desired outcome. How is it POSSIBLE that
C++ is properly developed at ISO/IEC with no problem, yet a mere font
format cannot?!

3. Many of us experts outside Apple/Adobe/Microsoft will join SC29 through
our national bodies and get busy developing OFF into a real specification
with proper processes. I'm already pursuing that through Canada. Simon
Cozens and Martin Hosken can do through the UK. Laurence Penney, Adam
Twardoch, Erik van Blokland, Petr van Blokland, Just van Rossum, David
Berlow, Khaled Hosny, Caleb, Pomax, Roel, dozens other people who ACTUALLY
know these stuff but their voices have been muted by this broken AHG will
then get their voice.

And when that happens, it would be the US delegation, which currently
includes Vlad, Greg, Sairus, and you, would be the one who comes to the
rest to beg to participate...

Just don't tell me, us, others that we fragmented the file format. Because
I did EVERYTHING I could to avoid that.

I will be doing a live video broadcast tomorrow to expand on this. I will
post details here soon.

behdad