[MPEG-OTSPEC] Proposal to discontinue the AdHoc Group

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Thu Sep 24 00:21:43 CEST 2020

> Finally, I think the tacit agreement to keep OFF and MSOT in synch is an inevitable point of friction for any ad hoc group, because that can't be fairly managed in a way that doesn't give Microsoft an effective veto on innovation — even if that veto is only exercised in inaction.

I don’t think this is quite right, looking at history of the past many years.

Microsoft as owners and stewards of the OT spec have at times provided a context in which MS and other industry collaborators could innovate on the font format and feed those innovations into OFF. In those situations, that context provided just the kind of buffer you describe. Variations is an familiar example of that.

But when MS has been inactive, that has not prevented innovations going into OFF. On the contrary, there are several counterexamples. SVG and CBDT tables are well-known examples. But there have also been several OTL features that were added to the feature registry or descriptions of features significantly revised (some of which you contributed) that came into OFF directly without needing any action on MS’ part.

Wrt OFF, AFAIFK MS has never had any more veto influence than any other company that might comment on a proposal to say, “not sufficiently reviewed” or “needs revision” or some such comments indicating concern with the proposed change.

Peter