[MPEG-OTSPEC] Proposal to discontinue the AdHoc Group

Simon Cozens simon at simon-cozens.org
Thu Sep 24 07:24:43 CEST 2020

On 23/09/2020 23:21, Peter Constable wrote:
> Microsoft as owners and stewards of the OT spec have at times provided a
> context in which MS and other industry collaborators could innovate on
> the font format and feed those innovations into OFF. In those
> situations, that context provided just the kind of buffer you describe.
> Variations is an familiar example of that.

You seem to think of this as a good thing. I think it is terrible for a
private company to act as a "buffer" on an open standard - particularly
when the processes by which the "buffer" operates are unclear and
opaque. Inviting contributions to go through that buffer in itself gives
Microsoft de facto power, including veto power, over such contributions.

If Microsoft was genuinely and honestly committed to the OFF as an open
specification, there would be no need for it to maintain OT as a
separate "private" standard, and you would be calling for contributions
here, not there. The fact that Microsoft both handed over OpenType for
standardisation *and still kept it* speaks volumes about its commitment
to the process.