[MPEG-OTSPEC] Proposal to discontinue the AdHoc Group

Simon Cozens simon at simon-cozens.org
Thu Sep 24 20:16:58 CEST 2020

On 24/09/2020 19:04, Peter Constable wrote:
> But on the surface looking at that site, the process behind that seems very unclear and opague;  my limited understanding is that this has been initiated by a private
company, Google, and some back room collaborators.

Similarly I'm choosing carefully what I respond to here, but for the
avoidance of doubt from anyone reading the list, I want to make
something abundantly clear.

The name on the top of the CommonType web site is mine; there is a
company name, Corvel Software, which is my consultancy. The list of
contributors is available from the GitHub repository
(https://github.com/commontype-standard/commontype/commits/master);
currently the contributors are myself, Florian Rival and Caleb
Maclennan. I don't know if Florian or Caleb are tasked to contribute by
Google, but again you can look at the commit history and see that their
contributions are not particularly substantive to the text of the
documentation.

I am contracted to Google for other areas of work, but this project is
entirely independent - I have been working on the idea of independently
annotatable font format documentation a long time before Google thought
it was interesting, and I receive no funding from Google for any work on
CommonType.

I hope this clears up any confusion.