[MPEG-OTSPEC] AHG kick off, mandates and other news

Vladimir Levantovsky vladimir.levantovsky at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 17:58:45 CEST 2021

Dear AHG members,

At the recent WG3 "MPEG Systems" meeting that took place on July 12-16, the
new, revised text of the amendment (ISO/IEC 14496-22_CDAM2) has been
approved, and the ballot has been issued. The WG3 (MPEG Systems)  has also
approved the following set of AHG mandates (essentially unchanged from the
last period):

1. Review and discuss the text of ISO/IEC CD 14496-22 Committee Draft
amendment.

2. Explore potential future changes and updates, and propose new work items
(if applicable) for consideration in the future new edition of the OFF
specification.

Like I mentioned, the revised text of the Committee Draft amendment is now
published under ISO ballot and has also been approved for public
distribution. The document can be downloaded from the MPEG public website
<https://www.mpegstandards.org/wp-content/uploads/mpeg_meetings/135_OnLine/w
20557.zip> . The ballot closing date (and the final deadline for submission
of National Body comments is Sep. 21, 2021; however, each National Body may
impose their own earlier deadlines to allow time for processing of

Considering that the development of the AMD2 is approaching its final stage
(submission of ballot comments is our last opportunity to make major
technical changes as party of the AMD2), I would like to encourage all
members to start planning for future work and consider new changes that will
become the basis for new, 5th edition OFF standard. Opening new issue on
MPEGGroup/OpenFontFormat GitHub
<https://github.com/MPEGGroup/OpenFontFormat>  for each topic (including any
future changes/updates) you would like to bring for consideration of the AHG
would be a good first step to start the discussions.