[MPEG-OTSPEC] Colour fonts and PDF

Chris Lilley chris at w3.org
Fri Feb 5 19:28:51 CET 2021

On 2021-02-05 19:21, William_J_G Overington wrote:
> I seem to remember that some years ago there was something - possibly
> in this list - about somebody having produced an experimental program
> that had input of text and the program produced a PDF document,
> without any alteration being needed to the PDF specification, the
> PDF document being produced by extracting the layers from the
> COLR/CPAL font and producing a multilayer PDF document, one layer for
> each colour. Has that idea been developed and become mainstream please?

That seems like a long-winded way to go about it, before color fonts
were standardized.

But in terms of improving font support in the PDF standard, comments
should be addressed to  ISO/TC 171 which develops ISO 32000-2, Document
management – Portable document format – Part 2: PDF 2.0

And yes, I tried just now and, while the chromatic font could be
embedded in PDF, Acrobat gave up and didn't even display the monochrome
fallback.

--
Chris Lilley
@svgeesus