[MPEG-OTSPEC] Requesting progress update on COLRv1 in fontTools, FreeType, etc.

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 22 11:39:16 CET 2021

Regarding the parlance, maybe I am wrong about this but it seems to me
that there is a gap, in that it seems to me that three terms are needed,
yet there are only two defined.

I refer to the specification terms base glyph and colour glyph. I was
familiar with the term base glyph but not colour glyph as used in the
specification.

In my writing I have used three terms, as follows.

base glyph, as the specification has it.

coloured glyph for each glyph that is one colour

colourful glyph as what the specification has as colour glyph

For example, as in the following from page 2 of Chapter 3 of my novel
The Mariposa System.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/the_mariposa_system_the_novel_chapter_003.pdf

> ‘Now to try to build the colourful glyph!’

> Mariposa goes into colour mode and adds the two coloured glyphs to the
> monochrome glyph, noting that the monochrome glyph had disappeared
> when she enters colour mode.

For information here, that is describing the process used in the
High-Logic FontCreator 8 software that I use. I do not know how
construction of the colourful glyph is done in other software, but it
seems to me that three items of parlance are needed generally, because a
completed OpenType COLR/CPAL font has some of each of what I have named
base glyph, coloured glyph and colourful glyph.

On a different aspect of the specification, originally if one used FFFF
as the colour index it allowed the colour actually used to be set by the
end user as the foreground colour. Does the system now allow/ will you
please consider allowing, similar 'tunnel through' colours, so that
there would be a feature whereby an end user could also select in an
application first decoration colour and second decoration colour so
that, say, one could have, for example, a font with some glyphs of holly
with berries and the end user could choose to have green leaves with red
berries or gold leaves with silver berries or whatever colour
combination desired, with the way that the specification is done such
that there is a default colour? So, for example, displaying the glyphs
in an application that does not have a decoration colour choosing
facility, or it is switched off, the holly appears as green leaves with
red berries yet the colours can be chosen by the end user in
applications where a decoration colour choosing facility is available
and switched on.

William Overington

Friday 22 January 2021