[MPEG-OTSPEC] Announcement / status update

Vladimir Levantovsky vladimir.levantovsky at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 17:09:31 CET 2021

The development of ISO font technology standards is a phenomenal success
story that started in 2001, as part of the development of the MPEG-4 family
of standards. The first standard for "Font compression and streaming"
(ISO/IEC 14496-18) introduced OpenTypeR as an external normative
specification, followed by the development of the "Open Font Format"
(ISO/IEC 14496-22) that was initiated based on the generous submission of
OpenType version 1.4 to ISO by Microsoft and Adobe in 2004. Many of you have
been an influential part of this development, you helped make it happen
providing your expertise, support and encouragement. I am grateful I had an
opportunity to meet and work with such a diverse group of experts.

For nearly 20 years, these standards have undergone substantial changes
introducing new layout features, color font capabilities, and variable font
technology. At the same time, they have achieved tremendous levels of
adoption by various OS / platforms and Java ME environments, and have been
referenced in many industry standards developed by DVB, 3GPP and OMA.  Font
technology implementations became ubiquitous in consumer electronics
devices, influenced new features in digital media applications, and have
become the foundation of the W3C Web Fonts technology that is now
mainstream.

For the past two decades, I've been fortunate to work alongside many bright
minds who contributed to this development, and to have been supported by my
former employer Monotype. Together we developed a technology that gave a new
voice to the written word, enabled content creators to deliver high quality
interactive content, and created new market opportunities that benefit many
font and font technology vendors, and multimedia industries at large.

I am happy to announce that this important work will now continue under
<https://typestandards.com/>  Type Standards, LLC, as an independent entity.
I am especially honored that Google, recognizing the importance of font
technology standardization, has offered their financial support in
sponsoring Type Standards, and my continued involvement in ISO
standardization activities as an independent expert.

Thank you all for your continued support,