[MPEG-OTSPEC] AHG activities and mandates

Vladimir Levantovsky vladimir.levantovsky at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 18:29:06 CET 2021

Dear AHG members,

The AHG on Font Format activities has been reestablished at the last SC29 /
WG3 meeting with the following mandates:

1. Review the text of ISO/IEC 14496-22 Draft International Standards
amendment 2.

2. Explore potential future changes and updates, and propose new work items
(if applicable) for consideration in the future new edition of the OFF
specification.

It took a bit longer to finalize the submission of the Draft International
Standard Amendment 2 of ISO/IEC 14496-22 OFF. I am happy to report that the
submission has been accepted, and the new ballot has been issued. The ballot
results will come on April 14, 2022 giving us another opportunity to conduct
a thorough review and submit comments if needed.

Note: At this stage, technical comments that aim to clarify / correct the
content of the amendment are still accepted, and editorial comments are
always welcome. Considering the time it takes for National Bodies to process
comments, you may need to prepare and submit your comments ahead of time.

Our second mandate gives us the basis to start exploratory work and plan for
future updates. Since the second amendment has been finalized, our next step
would be to start the development of the 5th edition of the Open Font
Format, which would combine all amended parts of the current 4th edition
text with the new submissions. I suggest that we should start collecting
issues that would be good candidates for future 5th edition updates using
the MPEG OFF issue tracker <https://github.com/MPEGGroup/OpenFontFormat> .