[MPEG-OTSPEC] [EXTERNAL] Re: Does OpenType have a one to many GSUB-like feature please?

Peter Constable pconstable at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 23 17:46:55 CET 2022

John hit a key point:

> GSUB operates at the glyph ID number level…

A GSUB type 2 lookup can replace a single glyph with a sequence of glyphs, but after the initial character-to-glyph mapping (from the cmap table), you’re dealing with glyph IDs. And glyph IDs are font-specific, not something that can interoperate outside the font. Text-to-speech systems currently don’t interact with the glyph processing, but even if they did they’d have no basis to interpret the glyph IDs.

Instead of an approach using font-internal details, a better approach would be for text-to-speech systems to recognize the emoji characters and then use dictionaries of emoji keyword data, which Unicode CLDR provides, to select a word or words to render as speech.

Peter