[MPEG-OTSPEC] [EXTERNAL] Re: Draft AHG report to WG3

Peter Constable pconstable at microsoft.com
Fri Jan 14 02:44:42 CET 2022

I may not have mentioned explicitly here, but I support this, as does the company I work for.

There should not be any concern, in the CFF2 revisions, with technical incompatibilities from earlier editions since the proposed scope is for changes that are only editorial in nature

Though the changes would be editorial in nature, not technical, they are still very significant in that they will provide a lot more clarity in the specification for the CFF2 table, as well as structuring that clause to be better integrated with the remainder of the standard.

(At present, the CFF2 section is little changed from the way that it was first drafted and proposed by Adobe in 2016 as part of the set of contributions that introduced font variations. The Adobe authors wrote it somewhat like it was a standalone specification, which of course it is not, But at that time the priority was on bringing together the large set of changes needed to add variations capabilities into OFF rather than making sure the CFF2 clause fit into the whole stylistically in the best way possible.)

If there are concerns of not adequate consensus that hinder initiation of a new edition at this time, that’s not the end of the world. But I would be very concerned if it led to a much longer delay in progress.

Peter Constable