[MPEG-OTSPEC] Is it valid to use a GSUB sequence with a leading ZWJ character please?

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Sun Oct 16 17:53:30 CEST 2022

On 14102022 2:51 pm, David Lemon wrote:
> William, I'm curious: Why are you leading with a [ZWJ] instead of
> placing it between the to-be-ligated characters?

A ligature lookup is one possible implementation of a graphical
ligation. My understanding of what William is doing is akin to handling
the graphical ligation using contextual ligating forms—i.e. two or more
glyphs that when employed together appear to form a ligated shape—rather
than a single ligature glyph. In this case, instead of the substitution
being contextual, he is using ZWJ as part of the input to affect the
ligating form, which in this case is an overlay combining mark glyph.

I should emphasise that I mostly ignore everything to do with emoji
encoding, so I am not sure whether what William is trying to do is
kosher Unicode. I do know that when I suggested the idea of a formatting
control character that converts the immediately following arbitrary
character into a combining mark—so as to avoid having to propose new
combining mark characters to represent things like superscribed letters
in manuscripts—I was told by UTC members that was a non-starter.

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com

Tiro Typeworks is physically located on islands
in the Salish Sea, on the traditional territory
of the Snuneymuxw and Penelakut First Nations.

EMAIL HOUR
In the interests of productivity, I am only dealing
with email towards the end of the day, typically
between 4PM and 5PM. If you need to contact me more
urgently, please use other means.