[MPEG-OTSPEC] Variable Composites and CFF2 (or other formats)

Skef Iterum skef at skef.org
Tue Dec 5 13:14:49 CET 2023

Back in August I sent a message to this list asking whether variable
composites should be in the glyf table instead of in their own table,
making them more like COLR glyphs and thereby compatible with CFF(2). I
also opened boring-expansion-spec issue #103
<https://github.com/harfbuzz/boring-expansion-spec/issues/103> as a
context for further discussion.

That discussion went fairly well to start with, indicating both that the
separate-table solution is viable and that there has been and continues
to be support for that alternative. Progress stalled in mid-September,
however, not because of any obstacle but because the discussion just
stopped. This was partly because of other commitments on the part of the
people who were talking and because some answers were needed from people
not yet involved.

Anyway, based on the discussion so far, and the fact that there is at
least some independent support for the separate-table approach, we—that
is, Adobe—wants to help ensure that the option has a chance to be
developed and evaluated by the Ad Hoc group. And because with the ISO
process what gets into the working draft is on auto-pilot towards the
eventual specification, we think that development and evaluation should
happen /before/ the variable components part of the specification is
approved.

Of course, in practice this means that we're asking that variable
composites be taken out of the upcoming proposal (and that if it isn't
Adobe will vote not to approve it, and encourage others to do the same).
However, we want to stress that this does not necessarily mean we will
not vote in favor later if further research indicates that glyf is the
better way to go.

Accordingly, we also suggest that how to go about that research and
development, including who needs to be involved, should be one topic for
the meeting next week.

Skef