[MPEG-OTSPEC] Variable Composites and CFF2 (or other formats)

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Dec 7 13:41:54 CET 2023

Hi Skef,

There's some public demoes we published a year ago (to the day):

  https://github.com/googlefonts/smarties

These should decompile with current versions of FontTools, or study the
gvar with other tools.

What I did in that repo is to take NotoSansKR / SC and detect glyphs that
are compatible-enough, and use machine-learning to extract
variable-components. The fonts are in the repo and you can look at the file
sizes.

Just van Rossum et al have more data comparing the various approaches. I'm
getting permission to share that with the group.

behdad
http://behdad.org/