[MPEG-OTSPEC] Cmap format to map 1 char to multiple glyphs?

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Tue Dec 12 18:04:47 CET 2023

Thank you everyone for the very productive meeting.

I like to also bring this issue up. If there is interest, I can work on it.
I wrote in my reply to Peter earlier:

*This reminds me of another idea we discussed in, I think, 2019, from
Monotype to introduce a `cmap` subtable that would map individual
characters to sequences of glyphs. Then the pre-composed Unicode characters
wouldn't need to have their own glyphs. Back then we dropped the idea for
backwards-compat reasons. But maybe we can pick it up now?*

This is very useful for Arabic as well...

behdad
http://behdad.org/