[MPEG-OTSPEC] [EXTERNAL] Re: Cmap format to map 1 char to multiple glyphs?

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Thu Dec 21 21:54:27 CET 2023

On 2023-12-21 10:00 am, Peter Constable wrote:
> It seems to me there’d at least be a compatibility boundary: newer
> fonts with 1:m cmap mappings wouldn’t produce desired results in older
> software unless the same effect were also implemented in GSUB lookups.

Backwards compatibility should be a choice of font makers, not a
restriction applied on the font format.

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com

Tiro Typeworks is physically located on islands
in the Salish Sea, on the traditional territory
of the Snuneymuxw and Penelakut First Nations.

EMAIL HOUR
In the interests of productivity, I am only dealing
with email towards the end of the day, typically
between 4PM and 5PM. If you need to contact me more
urgently, please use other means.