[MPEG-OTSPEC] dmap proposal

Skef Iterum skef at skef.org
Fri Dec 22 08:58:07 CET 2023

I stand dystopianed.

However, to not yet give up entirely on this line of thinking ...

What is on the table in these messages is a further extension of an
existing table, in this case cmap. Which at least suggests that the
problem here isn't "system-level" support -- we think we can get those
changes. What you describe is, loosely speaking, "application level"
support -- allowing the context that the user interacts with to specify
the needed parameters, and then educating the user to do so.

I agree that's hopeless for the foreseeable future.

These dmap ideas do have the benefit of being /somewhat/ general
(although one might worry about unusual cases). Maybe other compelling
use cases, or just the value of generality itself, justify such an
extension. Still, if the fundamental problems are what you describe, we
might also consider addressing them directly and specifically. Instead
of extending cmap, and building region- or language-specific fonts via a
separate mechanism, we should at least consider extending TTC to
associate a named subfont with the missing parameters. Basically:
"render this set of tables using this script and this language by
default". Done a bit subtly, one could just ship every cross-language
font file with a "base" font with just the name, and some entries for
other scripts and language, suitably named, and otherwise sharing TTC
data-structures.

 From the perspective of the font engineer that seems more productive
than building a cross-language font with one set of mechanisms and then
building multiple data-sharing individual language fonts using a
different mechanism (assuming we still want engineers to do the former).

Skef