[MPEG-OTSPEC] Shared GSUB/GPOS notes, was Re: dmap proposal

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 19:13:46 CET 2023

On 28/12/2023 16:02, John Hudson wrote:

> I’ve begun leaning the other way: perhaps we should ditch the
> multivalency of langsys, restrict it to tags that map to languages,
> and only use it in that way?
>
> JH

Would we then expect font developers to use certain "typical" language
tags to represent typographic conventions, and expect users to tag
content as being that language in order to get the desired behavior? Or
do we expect applications to offer an "override" mechanism for tagging
content as actually being in language XXX, but requiring the OpenType
rendering behavior of language YYY?

I'm not really seeing how this makes things better than explicitly
recognizing that typographic conventions are inherently distinct from
language, and need to be managed in their own right (although in many
cases there's a reasonable default mapping that can be used).

JK