[MPEG-OTSPEC] Scheduling Zoom meeting to discuss new proposals and AHG recommendations

Rod Sheeter rsheeter at google.com
Sun Jul 2 21:25:40 CEST 2023

I rather like the idea of a bitmap paint in COLR that pulls the actual
bitmap from another table, just like outlines. Compositing vectors and
bitmaps seems like it might open up some interesting possibilities.
Feedback on use cases where bitmaps are useful posted to
https://github.com/googlefonts/colr-gradients-spec/issues/272 would be most
appreciated. I added a comment for the example Georg provided.

For context, at the time COLRv1 was developed no bitmap format worked
consistently across platforms, the value of having paint bitmap was
unclear, and the pattern to add it later was very clear so it seemed safe
to defer. sbix looked like the best bitmap table but there was
inconsistency around interpretation of offsets (
https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/typography-issues/issues/191).
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freetype/freetype/-/issues/998 is now closed
so hopefully that's now fixed.