[MPEG-OTSPEC] Scheduling Zoom meeting to discuss new proposals and AHG recommendations

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 4 14:05:40 CEST 2023

 On Tuesday, 4 July 2023 at 17:18:30 GMT+8, Dominik Röttsches <drott at google.com> wrote:

 > COLRv1 rendering in Python exists in https://github.com/BlackFoundryCom/black-renderer - that's using fonttools for parsing, to my knowledge, not using FreeType, but you can probably take inspiration from the drawing backends of blackrenderer. Or then, potentially through pycairo if it has a recent cairo backing it. Or then https://pypi.org/project/skia-python/ - I haven't tested that and I don't know if that's built with FreeType in it, but if it is, it should support COLRv1 as well.
Thanks. The black-renderer is the first one I found too, besides cairo. It is probably not hard to parse the fonts themselves, extract the bits and draw with it, but until freetype can load them via LOAD_RENDER (and its python equivalent) like it can with OT-SVG and COLRv0, COLRv1 is looking like limited to specific usage.
I may be wrong, but it seems that Freetype git HEAD cannot see COLRv1 glyph layers (yet).