[MPEG-OTSPEC] Future of OT-SVG (Re: Scheduling Zoom meeting to discuss new proposals and AHG recommendations)

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 14 17:44:10 CEST 2023

 Dear Toshiya Kun,
AFAIK, skia milestones and Google chrome versioning are in sync, and the OT-SVG support is in m103, and right next to and after the COLRv1 code too - the skia source code is full of
If glyphcontext == colrv0      do stuffA else if glyphcontext = colrv1     do stuffBelse if glyhcontext = SVG      do stuffC
And I also checked that the COLRv1 code is introduced in m98.
Yes, I read the chromium issue 306078 issue last night, it is 10 years old. The most recent response from Google folks about "won't fix" is before m103.
I think Google folks did the work in 2022 but chose to leave it somewhat disabled/crippled. It looks like it should be able to load OT-SVG font with freetype. If you have a lot of OT-SVG fonts on your hard disk and you are on linux, I would consider putting them under ~/.fonts (the personal fontconfig location) and write a custom Web page to try to display them.
Anyway, with my recent work, any application that uses freetype just needs to copy two new files plus adding one line of code to enable OT-SVG support (plus the rest of skia) so there is no excuse not to...
It is certainly glaring for a 10-years-old issue full of comments.
Hin-Tak