[MPEG-OTSPEC] Some thoughts on the "under consideration" proposals

Dave Crossland dcrossland at google.com
Fri Jun 30 22:25:24 CEST 2023

Hi Skef!

Great to see you share your personal thoughts here :) I want to comment on
a couple of meta topics you raise at the top here. For the more substantial
technical discussions, I propose you repost those the "Official MPEG
repository to discuss issues on Open Font Format (ISO/IEC 14496-22)" at
https://github.com/MPEGGroup/OpenFontFormat since the discussion features
on Github's Issue tracker are more stronger than this old mailman list
(markdown, reactions, tagging, milestones, etc).

On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 1:37 PM Skef Iterum <skef at skef.org> wrote:

> for the relevant parties and knowledgeable experts to come together in a
> representative working-group-like structure

As you may know, and as I understand it, the phrase "working group" has a
specific and formally defined meeting on this mailing list (and that Github
repo): It refers to the SC29 Working Group, which Josh was the Adobe rep
for the USA delegation at the last WG meeting, and I believe more country
delegations are likely to join upcoming meetings.

Therefore this as an "ad hoc group" mailing-list/issue-tracker is "not a
working group", nor is the activity in
https://github.com/harfbuzz/boring-expansion-spec.

So I am unsure what you mean by a "representative working-group-like
structure [yet to happen]". Could you be more concrete?

> (He also said "silence is approval", which I'm not sure really works in
> practice, but is probably a nicer way of saying "put up or shut up".)

Again, AFAIK, this is the MPEG policy; once a submission is made to the WG,
the AHG has an opportunity to provide wild comments, and the WG members
have a formal comment and balloting process (which takes several quarters
to run through), but in both venues, "silence is approval". I hope Vlad
might be able to point to specific ISO policy documents to confirm this :)

Cheers
Dave