[MPEG-OTSPEC] Rules for cubic bits in glyf flags include undefined behaviour for some configurations

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Oct 2 22:27:22 CEST 2023

On Sat, Sep 23, 2023 at 2:01 PM Skef Iterum <skef at skef.org> wrote:

> I would say this cross-context pattern for "undefined behavior" is
> reasonably common across distributed media systems:
>
>    1. End-stage processors are "forgiving" -- they try their best to do
>    something that makes sense
>    2. Intermediate sanity-checkers and sanitizers are "unforgiving" --
>    they flag undefined behavior for rejection
>
> Most font files go through some context where 2 can be enforced before
> they reach an end-user. OS vendors check the fonts they include. Adobe's
> font marketplace has checks. I believe Google checks the fonts that go up
> on its servers. (Browsers also check fonts before using them, but that may
> be too late for checking subtleties like what we're discussing.)
>
> I would say this a good convention overall. Forcing all behavior to be
> defined can cut off options for defining that behavior in the context of
> future features.
>
> The trickier question is what to do about changes in undefined behavior --
> either making something undefined that wasn't before, or somehow changing
> the status of behavior that wasn't defined in the spec but that all
> implementers handled in a certain way. I doubt we're doing the former but
> we have to be careful about the latter because fonts that are already out
> there and working will start to break.
>
> I'll also note here that I argued in my initial response doc that there is
> less motivation for interpolated on-curve cubic points than there is for
> quadratics. I suspect you'll mainly see them in circles and other symmetric
> curves (like some "o"s and "O"s), and they will save space, but the
> arguments for them are much weaker than in the quadratic case. (I doubt
> you'll seem them creep up into the UI of design tools like you sometimes do
> for quadratic interpolated points (e.g. in FontForge).) So we should
> consider whether they're worth the confusion they will add. There are lots
> of features one *could* add that would save two bytes here and four bytes
> there, and it seems like this is being proposed mostly because of the
> precedent with quadratics.

Thanks Skef and others. But even if we fully disallow implied on-curves for
cubics, we still have the same problem of defining what happens when we
encounter such segments.

As for the Jonathan's suggested in the other thread to either NOT render
the misbehaving contour or fully describe how to render it, when designing
the current model I had two goals in mind:

  - We should be able to continue to process one point at a time (keeping a
state of course) and calling moveto/lineto/curveto/qcurveto.

  - Reversing the contour points and ends should produce the same shape
with opposite winding direction.

Both of these will be violated by the suggested models. If we can find a
way to fully specify the system while retaining these two properties,
that's my preference. Otherwise, it looks like NOT rendering the contour at
all can be achieved by an extra pass on the points before doing any drawing
for the contour.