[MPEG-OTSPEC] Some research on TT instructions and cubics

Skef Iterum skef at skef.org
Fri Sep 22 21:28:29 CEST 2023

Sorry for our confusion over the IUP instruction, folks. I guess one of the
risks of working from documentation alone is that you'll over-read it.

It appears that at the instruction level there are just points, with no
semantic
information about kinds (on- or off-curve, etc.). Seems like that means
that it would
be not that hard to fake up a manual hinting system -- maybe start with an
existing manual hinting setup, feeding the data through an interpreter
to modify
the point locations, and then feed that through a rasterizer modified to
deal with
cubics. (I assume Behdad or someone at Google has some form of the
latter, or
I guess you could just convert to SVG or skia's internal representation.)

Setting something like this up and trying some manual hinting of a few
glyphs
might be the quickest route to confidence about how cubics will interact
with
TT hinting. (Autohinting will presumably take a while longer to sort out.)

Vaguely related: Following along the potential alternative of having the
variable
component data in a separate table, we have started discussing what all
this would
mean for CFF (e.g. PostScript lineage) style hinting. It's way too early
for any real
documentation on this, but we have notes on what looks like a pretty
good model,
which will require some changes to the implementation but can use the
existing
font- and glyph-level parameters. If anyone wants early info on this we
can talk.

Skef