[MPEG-OTSPEC] [EXTERNAL] fvar and hoi updated

Peter Constable pconstable at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 4 19:51:00 CEST 2024

Hi, Liam:

"The default (initial value) shall be taken from the non-hidden axis entry."

This doesn't make sense to me. Text can't be laid out or glyphs rasterized without a full specification of an instance. There isn't some initial state that layout or rasterization processing begins with that doesn't include an instance specification.

A statement I would expect but don't see is that normalization is calculated independently for each axis using its min/default/max values in conjunction with the "user" coordinate for each axis (clamped to the axis min/max range).

Peter