[MPEG-OTSPEC] On condvalue_spec.pdf

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Tue Apr 23 20:43:50 CEST 2024

Hi Skef,

I'm implementing the ConditionValue proposal, and have some feedback. This
is based on the following document:

https://github.com/adobe-type-tools/opentype-spec-drafts/blob/main/condvalue_spec.md

"""
In "FeatureVariations Table", note that if minorVersion is 0 then only
Condition Table version 1 can be used. If minorVersion is 1 then Condition
Table version 2 can also be used.
"""
I highly suggest removing this. The minorVersion is for when new fields are
added to FeatureVariations table itself. It should not be relied on for
anything else.

"""
Add new subpart between "Condition Table Format 1: Font Variation Axis
Range" and "FeatureTableSubstitution Table" with this content:
"""
Can we name Format1 simply ConditionAxisRange? That would go better with
ConditionValue, ConditionAnd, ConditionOr, and ConditionNegate.

"""
On page 166: "Within the GPOS, JSTF, GDEF and BASE tables, delta-set
indices are stored in VariationIndex tables."
"""
I don't understand this. What is a VariationIndex table?

Thanks,

behdad
http://behdad.org/