[MPEG-OTSPEC] CSS WG liaison to SC29 on Open Font Format (from Feb. 2020)

Bobby de Vos bobby_devos at sil.org
Thu Feb 22 17:43:38 CET 2024

Greetings,

SIL added a JSTF table to some of our Arabic fonts (Lateef, Harmattan,
Scheherazade), you can see what was added to Scheherazade below

https://github.com/silnrsi/font-scheherazade/commit/0aa388a0b3a59221f3c13e6b5803215f22bf6655

The commit message says "Add JSTF table to identify possible kashida
glyphs". I thought this was added (notes from someone else) because when
justification was turned on in Word, it would break the lam/alef
ligature by inserting a kashida. But I am unable to actually test this
at the moment.

Bobby

On 2024-02-21 09:13, John Hudson via mpeg-otspec wrote:
> Simon Cozens attempted an implementation of JSTF table support a few
> years ago, in an effort to find out whether it was actually
> implementable. As I recall, he determined that much of it could be
> implemented, but that there were some holes or things that could be
> improved. As far as I know, there is no JSTF table support in any
> shipping software, which I guess at least means we wouldn’t break
> anything were we to revise the spec to produce something workable for
> CSS.
>
> JH
>

> On 2024-02-20 12:39 pm, Vladimir Levantovsky via mpeg-otspec wrote:
>> The liaison statement I mentioned during today's call can be found here:
>> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2020Feb/att-0005/CSS-SC29-20200113.pdf
>>

>> One of the aspects mentioned in the CSS WG statement is related to
>> using cursive elongation for text justification purposes, which may
>> be desirable for cursive writing and could be essential e.g. for many
>> Arabic scripts - I am wondering if this can already be accomplished
>> using JSTF table, and whether the existing specification needs to be
>> updated to support it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Vladimir

Bobby de Vos