[MPEG-OTSPEC] Two GSUB Proposals for OFF: 'cabp' and 'hypy'

陈永聪 eisoch at 126.com
Thu Feb 29 14:28:28 CET 2024

Fuji-San,

Thank you for your comments. The most official materials for Hanyu Pinyin forms are 汉语拼音方案 and 现代汉语词典.

Eiso
---- Replied Message ----
| From | Takaaki Fuji 藤 貴亮<tfuji at morisawa.co.jp> |
| Date | 02/29/2024 下午6:45 |
| To | 陈永聪 <eisoch at 126.com> |
| Cc | mpeg-otspec <mpeg-otspec at lists.aau.at> |
| Subject | Re: [MPEG-OTSPEC] Two GSUB Proposals for OFF: 'cabp' and 'hypy' |
Dear Eiso,

I'm just curious, but for ‘hypy’, is there any good source I can look at for the ‘official' glyph forms of Hanyu Pinyin?

If I understand the issue correctly, ‘hypy’ is not only about the Futura-like one-story a/g shown in Example, but also the tone marks are preferred to have a 'reverse-modulation’; while an acute is always stroked from top to bottom as a Latin accent, as a Pinyin mark it goes upwards from left to right to illustrate the second/rising tone. I imagine this conflict/divergence has long been such an issue in a dual-script situation, so switching between the two via GSUB sounds like a great improvement to me!

Thank you,

Takaaki Fuji