[MPEG-OTSPEC] TTC "Offsets2" and slot numbers

Skef Iterum skef at skef.org
Wed Jan 10 00:57:54 CET 2024

I had a thought about the TTC portion of the combined Google proposal
after the meeting.

I don't have much experience with the client-side of TTCs. I believe
that in some cases one can pick out a font inside based on an
identifying string. For example, the CSS font specification indicates
that a font is picked out of its container by way of its PostScript
name. However, I believe I've also seen contexts in which a font is
picked out by slot number.

In any context where slot number is a valid TTC interface, the second,
overriding offset can potentially make a slot number ambiguous: On one
client that understands the new specification you get one list, but on a
different client that only understands the current spec you get a
different list.

This is not a problem as long as the lists are kept in sync, but unless
slot numbers are irrelevant -- or we want to push implementations
towards their being irrelevant going forward -- I think we should add
some language to the spec indicating that when both offsets are in use
their entires should be kept in sync, and perhaps even that validators
can (and should?) flag fonts in which key entries in the name tables of
the same slot differ between "Offsets" and "Offsets2".

Skef