[MPEG-OTSPEC] Documentation guidance on CFF(2) transformation

Skef Iterum skef at skef.org
Thu Jan 25 11:36:02 CET 2024

Let me be more specific: The VARC specification anticipates that TrueType
"instructions" will be valid and should be applied when
compositing/rasterizing
VARC glyphs with glyf-based atoms, and that CFF2 PostScript-style hint
parameters will be valid and should be used when compositing/rasterizing
VARC glyphs with CFF2-based atoms, yielding hinted output when there is
hinted input (except in special cases such as the text itself being
transformed
via CSS or some other means). Just extracting and transforming the path
information and then feeding it to a moveto/lineto/(q)curveto based
rasterizer
won't support that, as such a rasterizer won't be aware of TrueType
instructions or PostScript style hinting, and anyway that data would be
stripped out of the path data.

The question is: What should the specification say to make this expectation
clear and to clarify anything else the implementer should know, at least at
a high level?

Skef