[MPEG-OTSPEC] [EXTERNAL] Re: "anim" feature tag

Peter Constable pconstable at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 31 21:55:15 CET 2024

I think support for animations is probably a bigger set of topics. We’ve already got plenty in flight, so perhaps we might wait on this?

Peter

From: mpeg-otspec <mpeg-otspec-bounces at lists.aau.at> on behalf of Behdad Esfahbod via mpeg-otspec <mpeg-otspec at lists.aau.at>
Date: Wednesday, January 31, 2024 at 11:54 AM
To: Skef Iterum <skef at skef.org>
Cc: mpeg-otspec at lists.aau.at <mpeg-otspec at lists.aau.at>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [MPEG-OTSPEC] "anim" feature tag
On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 11:50 AM Skef Iterum <skef at skef.org<mailto:skef at skef.org>> wrote:
Sorry, Davelab6, there's no issue for this one.

I don't see the client as having any responsibilities for an `anim` tag.
It would indicate a good-, ideally best-, effort on the part of the
designer to work around aspects of the font that are discontinuous from
the perspective of animation.

People are already animating variable fonts for video. The mechanics of
that on the client side are a separate issue.

Maybe an `anim` GSUB/GPOS feature would be more appropriate? People might want to animate the width, or the weight, or other aspects of the font. Having an `anim` axis only allows for animating one aspect of the font.

Skef