[MPEG-OTSPEC] Does a rendering system know if a variation selector requested glyph is not available in a font?

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 16 02:27:36 CEST 2024

 Hi Ken,
Apologies, I double-checked - I think you are right about them being more or less in sync. For some reasons I seem to have the mistaken impression that that one is v2... the other v4 and with widely different release dates. Some of the other Adobe Source non-Hans seems to be indeed at v4...
As for the sub-optimal claim, I just meant minimal in terms of numbers of references to distinct glyph shapes (and minimal table size). Reading UTS #37 properly, I see that this is very much not the case, and as you said, as the number of UVSes increase, the number of registered collections increases. Or rather, the other way round: as the number of UVSes increase AS A CONSEQUENCE OF more registered collections, there will be partially overlapping collections, and redundancies / duplicated references to exact same shape across different collections, and they will take up more variant selector slots with the same glyph shapes.
In fact, if I read UTS #37 correctly (sorry this sounds like asking the author to explain the subtlety/intention/clarification - I see you wrote UTS #37) , as a hypothetical scenario, it is entirely possible for a later version of a font having no new glyphs compared to an earlier version, but just a much larger uvs cmap. And it seems to imply that a (specific versioned instance of) uvs cmap should have a corresponding (specific versioned instance of) IVD_Collections + IVD Sequences?
Put it in simpler terms, the "suboptimal" claim about the current construction of Adobe Hans - to get around it, a vendor - say, Google - could register a "web font usage uvs collection" with exactly one IVS per distinct glyph, and ship a font that does not support any other collections?
Hidden in there, is the idea that the current Adobe Hans must have a (versioned) list of (versioned) IVS collections it claims to support - and it should be possible to check the implementation of a uvs cmap against that text-based list?
I hope this is not too tedious a discussion...
Regards Hin-Tak