[MPEG-OTSPEC] Does a rendering system know if a variation selector requested glyph is not available in a font?

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 7 13:11:05 CEST 2024

There is a document

(R)Unicode: Encoding and Sustainability Issues in Runology

https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2024/24129-runology.pdf

I have no expertise at all in Runology but I did notice one thing in the
document that has prompted me to make an observation.

On page 14 the document has the following.

> Fonts supporting that form would display the appropriate glyph,
> recognising the string of base-character + variation selector, but
> fonts without such support would ignore the variation selector and
> fall back to a generic form for the base character.

I suggest that it would be possible to have a version of the program
that displays the glyphs to be such that if the fall back glyph is
displayed due to the requested glyph not being available in the font,
then that fall back glyph could be displayed in, say, red, or some other
way, so that it would be clear that that was the situation rather than
it being just an unreported fallback situation. Is that possible with
fonts and rendering systems as they are now?

So it would not be a situation of the variation selector request being
ignored, but a situation of the variation selector request not being
acted upon yet a notification that the request had not been acted upon
notified to the researcher.

I appreciate that this would not be a feature requiring encoding in
Unicode, but would involve the font and the rendering system. So how
could this be implemented please, indeed are there any programs that
already implement such a feature? If the font returns the default glyph
when asked for the variation sequence requested glyph, does the
rendering system know that this is the case? If so, how? If not, can a
feature be added to the font specification so that the rendering system
will know please?

I am thinking that such a feature could b useful in various situations,
not only runology.

William Overington
Friday 7 June 2024