[MPEG-OTSPEC] "master" terminology

Dave Crossland dcrossland at google.com
Mon Mar 11 06:51:39 CET 2024

Hi

Personally I am all for changing master/slave naming to primary/secondary,
but master is not only contrasted with slave. I have a master's degree. My
father was a ship's master. Chess players are masterminds.

Mastering is a process in music production, and this is where the word
comes to font production from, in my opinion. I don't see this use in
opentype as similar at all to say database replication.

If we are going to change it, don't think 2 words is going to stick.
"Sources", perhaps.

Cheers
Dave