[MPEG-OTSPEC] CSS WG liaison to SC29 on Open Font Format (from Feb. 2020)

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Thu Mar 14 16:02:39 CET 2024

On 2024-03-13 10:59 am, Simon Cozens via mpeg-otspec wrote:

>> How does the axis handle prioritisation of justification techniques?
>
> A combination of Feature Variations ("alternate layers") and per-glyph
> masters ("intermediate layers") means that you can prioritize
> different techniques at different parts of the design space.
>
> For example, perhaps at JSTF=0 - JSTF=100 the space glyph expands to
> its full width; but meanwhile at JSTF=50 the kashida glyph begins to
> expand until it reaches its full width at JSTF=1000; at JSTF=500 final
> kafs and final nuns begin to expand; then at JSTF=800 they switch over
> to swash forms...
>
> With per-glyph masters, one axis can be seen as the union of multiple
> per-glyphs axes...

Interesting. Will need to think about this.

‘JSTF=0 - JSTF=1000’ implies that justification always means
expanding-to-fill. Conceptually, the model could handle contraction
also, I think. Has this been considered in the implementation? I am
thinking about paragraph level justification, where justification may
involve re-wrapping text, and designs that have mechanisms that compress
text horizontally.

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com

Tiro Typeworks is physically located on islands
in the Salish Sea, on the traditional territory
of the Snuneymuxw and Penelakut First Nations.

EMAIL HOUR
In the interests of productivity, I am only dealing
with email towards the end of the day, typically
between 4PM and 5PM. If you need to contact me more
urgently, please use other means.