[mpeg-OTspec] Proposal related to Last Resort fonts

John H. Jenkins jenkins at apple.com
Fri Apr 10 00:02:49 CEST 2009

On Apr 9, 2009, at 1:59 PM, Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:

> My original impression (maybe incorrect) was that it would be okay
> to have both standard cmap table support and ‘last resort’ cmap in
> the same font. It’s feasible that one may want to create a Unicode
> fonts where supported code points would be encoded using e.g. cmap
> formats 0, 4 and 12, and unsupported code points would be encoded
> using cmap format 13 (although I am still trying to wrap my head
> around this as to why a different glyph rather than .notdef glyph
> would be needed to convey the same thing, maybe we should say
> something about it).

The only real reason to have a standard cmap subtable would be for
compatibility with older parsers.  You're not likely to have a last
resort font with the ability to cover, say, Latin properly.  The idea
underlying the font is that it is a true font of last resort and will
only be used when no other font in the system can properly display a
character.  In Apple's case, we show a glyph specifying the Unicode
block to which the character belongs, thus giving the user at least
*some* information.

There's nothing to stop someone from implementing a font that covers
one or more blocks properly and then uses a single glyph for
everything in other blocks, of course.  It just seems like the result
will be something of a chimera, neither fish nor fowl.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins at apple.com