[mpeg-OTspec] Proposal related to Last Resort fonts

Sairus Patel sppatel at adobe.com
Fri Apr 10 00:32:35 CEST 2009

> There's nothing to stop someone from implementing a font that covers one or more blocks properly and then uses a single glyph for everything in other blocks, of course.  It just seems like the result will be something of a chimera, neither fish nor fowl.

The dangerous part about producing a font like this is that there is no information that distinguishes one kind of mapping from the other: a layout engine pinging the Unicode cmap subtable to determine whether this font supports a particular character (say, as part of a fallback strategy) can't tell that it's a last resort glyph as opposed to a glyph that truly supports that code point.

Sairus