[mpeg-OTspec] Toward a Composite Font format specification

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Fri Aug 28 22:41:01 CEST 2009

Mikhail and others,

Sorry for the delay. I was discussing this issue internally with a
couple different development teams. I wanted to make sure that our
bases are covered before I suggested some working definitions.

I like the idea of using "LocationHint" as the name of this
<ComponentFont> attribute.

Getting back to the issue, I think that there are three of them to
consider:

1) Font location. Installed onto the device proper, meaning in a
standard location, embedded in the file that references it, either
directly or via a Composite Font recipe, or elsewhere (web fonts).

2) Rendering. Done by the OS, the application itself, or some other
rendering client such as a library.

3) Access. This boils down to private versus public. In general, if a
font is embedded in the file that references it, it is effectively
private, and available only to the consumer. If a font is installed on
the device in a standard location, it is effectively public, multiple
consumers have access to it, and can thus use it.

In the context of Composite Fonts, and considering producers (those
who create the Composite Font recipes) and consumers (those who use or
"consume" the Composite Font recipes), I cannot think of any usage
scenarios that specify how rendering is to be done. So, Issue #2
becomes moot. The consumer already knows how to handle this, and
simply knowing where to look for the font is sufficient.

And, Issue #3 is a non-issue in the sense that the location of the
font implies its access level.

Thus, what we have left is Issue #1, which is about location. Embedded
fonts do not need a location, but need a name (this is required anyway
for any Component Font), and it may be useful to flag it as an
embedded font. Device fonts can benefit from a location, such as a
path, and the usage scenario you gave helps. I assume that web fonts
merely require a URL.

The following are three definitions to consider:

Device font:
   A font installed on the device, in a standard location, and thus
accessible by multiple consumers.

Embedded font:
   A font or subset of a font that is embedded in a file that
references it, and thus accessible only by the file's consumer.

Web font:
   A font that is neither installed on the device nor embedded in a
file, but is otherwise accessible through the network.

Thoughts?

-- Ken

On 2009/08/26, at 15:52, Mikhail Leonov wrote:

> Hi Ken,
> This type of issue came up in some of my recent conversations as well.
>
> Conceptually, recipe creators want to specify some additional
> properties about a component font, such as its location. For some
> scenarios a simple Boolean flag is sufficient, while for other
> scenarios something like a URL or an internal resource path is
> necessary.
>
> To give an example of the latter, a document could embed 2 versions
> of the same font and use different resource paths, for example /
> Resources/Fonts/1/arial.ttf and /Resources/Fonts/2/arial.ttf.
>
> Given there is a large number of potential methods for storing font
> file locations, I’d like to suggest for this property to be opaque
> and optional, akin to a hint rather than a strict directive.
>
> How does a new string property LocationHint sound?
>
> Thanks!
> Mikhail Leonov
> Microsoft

>>> for taking the base glyphs from a heavier weight of the "same"