[mpeg-OTspec] Toward a Composite Font format specification

Mikhail Leonov mleonov at microsoft.com
Thu Aug 27 00:52:19 CEST 2009

Hi Ken,
This type of issue came up in some of my recent conversations as well.

Conceptually, recipe creators want to specify some additional properties about a component font, such as its location. For some scenarios a simple Boolean flag is sufficient, while for other scenarios something like a URL or an internal resource path is necessary.

To give an example of the latter, a document could embed 2 versions of the same font and use different resource paths, for example /Resources/Fonts/1/arial.ttf and /Resources/Fonts/2/arial.ttf.

Given there is a large number of potential methods for storing font file locations, I'd like to suggest for this property to be opaque and optional, akin to a hint rather than a strict directive.

How does a new string property LocationHint sound?

Thanks!
Mikhail Leonov
Microsoft