[mpeg-OTspec] Re: A path through the thicket

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Sun Dec 13 14:46:44 CET 2009

Many thanks, Leonardo. This is incredibly helpful. I will work on a revised document on Monday, which will reflect your suggestions.

With regard to the full name and abbreviation, as Manlio pointed out, CFF is not a good choice because it conflicts with another font-related format, specifically Compact Font Format, and is also the tag for the corresponding OpenType table. I completely agree.

Given the cross-platform and rich nature of this Composite Font format, along with the fact that it is XML-based, I have one abbreviation/name suggestion:

  OpenCF (Open Composite Font)

I chose OpenCF over OCF as the abbreviation for "Open Composite Font" because OCF is already an abbreviation for a legacy PostScript font format called "Original Composite Font." I also like the emphasis of the word Open, which works well with OFF.

Regards...

-- Ken