[mpeg-OTspec] Re: A path through the thicket

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotypeimaging.com
Mon Dec 14 15:38:21 CET 2009

Hello Ken, all,

I agree that Composite Fonts activity would benefit from the new name to prevent the conflict between Composite Font and Compact Font Format (CFF). However, there is an organization called the Khronos Group that develops specifications for graphics acceleration and system integration APIs, and their trademarked names always start with Open... - they are most famous for the names like OpenGL and OpenGL ES, but there are many other specs that already have been released under the names like OpenVG, OpenMAX, OpenML, OpenKODE, OpenWF and OpenCL (to name a few). I am afraid the name like OpenCF may be mistakenly attributed to their line of standards, and may even be viewed as a trademark violation  - I am not a lawyer, so the above statement should be considered a concern, not a legal opinion.

I believe that the future Composite Font specification will likely become a new clause of the ISO OFF spec, and I like one of the names "Composite Font Standard"  John Hudson has proposed. IMHO, CFS would fit well with the existing abbreviations OFF and CFF.