[mpeg-OTspec] MD5 is no more considered secure

Daniel Strebe dstrebe at adobe.com
Thu Dec 17 22:49:45 CET 2009

And a large part of the utility of MD5 hashes is to detect corruption from file system or file transmission, a faculty left intact even if security is not. Still, would it not be prudent to provide for stronger security? (Particularly since font viruses have already been demonstrated!) For example, any font with a more secure hashing scheme would also be required to supply the MD5 DSIG. This leaves existing implementations functional, since unknown SFNT tables generally get ignored.

The problem here is that (legitimate) software that modifies fonts but is not aware of the more secure hashing scheme would then end up writing a font with incompatible strong and weak hashes because the strong hash would not have got updated to reflect the changes in the font. But software that leaves in places tables it does not understand when modifying fonts is just asking for trouble anyway, since the unknown table could refer to information in tables that got modified.

Regards,

- daan Strebe
Senior Computer Scientist
Adobe Systems Incorporated