AHG on Open Font Format kick off

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotypeimaging.com
Tue Feb 17 19:58:18 CET 2009

Dear AHG OFF members,

First of all, I would like to welcome our new members of the group and
thank all group members for their contributions and continued
participation.

This message is an official kick off of the new AHG exploration
activities.
The AHG mandates, as established at the 87th WG11 meeting are:
1. To explore possible ways to overcome the 64K limit of the number of
glyphs in the existing font format specification. The preferred way
should not adversely affect any existing implementations and should be
backward compatible with the existing OFF specification.

2. To produce a report outlining the results of the exploration
activities and propose a way forward for WG11 to achieve stated goals.

All activities of the AHG will be conducted on this reflector; a
telephone conference call can be arranged and, if necessary, should be
scheduled with advanced two-week notice. The group members also have
unrestricted access to Web-based message archive
(http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/mpeg-OTspec/messages) and file

The subject of 64K limit in OFF/OpenType/TrueType fonts have been raised
a number of times in the past. Many of AHG participants have voiced
their opinions on the issue and I would like to invite all of you to
contribute your ideas and suggestions to this group for continued
discussion. Our goal is to come up with the recommendations and working
draft of the future specification that will help to eliminate or
overcome the restriction of 64K glyphs in a font.

Thank you very much for your efforts.
With kind regards,