[mpeg-OTspec] AHG on Open Font Format kick off

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Thu Feb 19 23:05:33 CET 2009

Vladmir,

Many thanks for setting up this AHG. I have a lot of irons in the fire
at the moment, and I am guessing that others can say the same.

Still, it is important for this project to move forward.

One of the sticking points in previous discussions, which may have
caused them to stall, was our insistence that the resulting fonts be
cross-platform, which meant limiting the font format of the component
fonts, and requiring built-in Unicode support. After discussing this
point with key people from Apple, we now agree to lift this
restriction. Instead, I would strongly recommend that the format
supports a flag that indicates that the Composite Font format is
intended to be cross-platform, and if it is enabled, some aspects
become more strict, such as limiting the font format to those that can
be cross-platform (this would exclude OCF, sfnt-CID, and any resource-
fork font) and requiring built-in Unicode support. With this flag
turned off, correctly handling the component fonts then becomes the
responsibility of the client, which may be an OS.

As stated in previous discussions, Adobe Systems has implemented
Composite Font support in several ways. Our ATC (Adobe Type Composer)
application was a rather simple front-end to our AdobeTypeComposer
ProcSet that allowed various components to be used together, and was
limited to Shift-JIS encoding with its user-defined region. Some of
our flagship applications, such as InDesign and Illustrator, include
built-in Composite Font support that allows customers to select a Base
Font, then select other fonts to serve as replacements for various
character classes, such as Latin, symbols, punctuation, and kana. At a
high level, perhaps for Composite Fonts that are not declared to be
cross-platform, script-based labels can suffice. But, for those that
have been declared for cross-platform use, the script-based labels
should function to specify specific Unicode ranges. The format itself
should also allow the granularity to be at the code point level,
meaning that specific code points, not code point ranges, should be
permitted. Specifying language also has value, in that it allows this
format to accommodate the building of Pan-CJK fonts.

One of my preferences, as conveyed in previous discussions, is that
Composite Font definitions be flat, meaning that a Composite Font
cannot use another Composite Font as a component. A front-end for
creating Composite Font definitions could allow a user to specify a
Composite Font as a component, but that it would need to be flattened.
Considering how complex fonts can become, limiting (or preventing, in
this case) recursion is probably a good thing.

In terms of the file format itself, for obvious reasons it should be
XML, which means that it can be human- and machine-readable.

Lastly, I would like to request that Karsten Luecke (karsten.luecke at kltf.de
) be added to this discussion. His insights and opinions will be
valuable.

Regards...

-- Ken