serious error in name table changes for OT1.6

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sat Mar 14 18:41:51 CET 2009

I just noticed a serious error in the revisions in the posted draft of the name table for OT 1.6 at http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec160/name.htm: the format 1 structure is incorrect-different from the proposal that was discussed and in its current state unusable.

The current posted draft has a format 1 structure of

Type

Name

Description

USHORT

format

Format selector (=1).

USHORT

count

Number of name records.

USHORT

stringOffset

Offset to start of string storage (from start of table).

NameRecord

nameRecord[count]

The name records where count is the number of records.

USHORT

langTagCount

The language-tag records where langTagCount is the number of records.

(Variable)

Storage for the actual string data.

Note that there is a count of language tags, but no further data about them. The structure that was proposed is this:

Type

Name

Description

USHORT

format

Format selector (=1).

USHORT

count

Number of name records.

USHORT

stringOffset

Offset to start of string storage (from start of table).

NameRecord

nameRecord[count]

The name records where count is the number of records.

USHORT

langTagCount

Number of language-tag records.

LangTagRecord

langTagRecord[langTagCount]

The language-tag records where langTagCount is the number of records.

(Variable)

Storage for the actual string data

It appears that the highlighted cells somehow got deleted.

Vlad, I do hope that what you have in the FPDAM text is correct. If not, then we have a real problem.

Peter