[mpeg-OTspec] AHG conference call - Composite Fonts Requirements

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Tue May 12 08:00:35 CEST 2009

>> Advanced Layout Features

>>   - Each component font should have code ranges and language tags
>> identified, and will be used based on this information.

Before committing to agreement with MS and Adobe on layout
non-interaction between component fonts, I just want to confirm that my
understanding of intended code range and language tag behaviour is
correct. The attached image shows text strings containing two different
  scripts, typeset using two different fonts which, for purposes of this
illustration represent two component fonts in a composite font. In this
illustration, for clarity, I have set the two fonts in distinct colours,
but one may presume them to represent text in a single colour. Language
tagging is indicated.

There are two layout issues at work here. One is selection of an
appropriate font for common punctuation characters adjacent to
alphabetic characters, and hence correct kerning relationship between
those glyphs. The other is the more complex selection of appropriate
closing parenthesis to match opening parenthesis (as the illustration
shows, there will definitely be cases in which this results in
collisions between adjacent glyphs from different component fonts).

Given the language tagging illustrated in the graphic, is my
understanding of the expected component font selection and layout correct?

I'm leaving aside, for now, posssible fallback behaviours, based on
algorithms, if accurate language tagging is not applied.

Regards, John

--

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

I'm like that Umberto Eco guy, but without
the writing.   -- anonymous caller