[mpeg-OTspec] AHG conference call - Composite Fonts Requirements

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Wed May 13 15:16:57 CEST 2009

John,

What you have described, along with your useful examples, demonstrated
that font names and Unicode ranges alone are not sufficient to define
the Composite Font, and that language tagging is a necessary
component. In other words, glyphs that are expected to interact via
GSUB or GPOS features should be in the same component font, and
because the same punctuation ("same" in the sense that they share the
same Unicode code points) is shared by multiple languages, this issue
arises.

Of course, there will be times when the Composite Font explicitly
specifies punctuation from a separate font, in which case the glyphs
cannot interact, at least via GSUB or GPOS features. In this case, the
desire or intent to use different punctuation precludes the ability
for the glyphs to interact, and this should be okay. Our Composite
Font mechanisms do this, and it has been acceptable.

Regards...

-- Ken